Tuesday, January 9, 2018

A shadow skulks through Mordor

I know, I know... I'm quite late to this party!
And yes... the sequel is already out for a while. But I bought this game 13 month ago and I wanted to finally play it before I dedicate myself to other Videogames (and man... I have a lot of them in my gaming backlog!).




For those of you, thast don't know what I'm talking about: I'm actually playing Shadow of Mordor on my PS4. As far as I can tell this game has nothing to do with any of the LotR books, but plays in the same scenario, some time between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. An ranger from Gondur, who held watch on the Black Gate got killed together with his family by the Black Hand of Sauron. But he didn't found peace, but is trapped in a shadow world, where he meets an old elven spirit, which is also trapped in here (conjured by the Black Hand). They are certain, that they have to avenge their deaths, so that they finally can find peace, so they combine forces and start their search for the servants of the Dark Lord.
On their way they slay uncountable amounts of orcs and even take part in the power struggles of their captains until they finally find clues where their tormentors can be found.

Shadow of Mordor is an action RPG and it satisfies a lot of things I like in this genre: Combos, fast paced combat, an upgrade system for weapons and skills (even if it only small, but you take what you can get) and a good story, which runs a bit in the background (well.. at least how I play it). What I really like is, that all locations of collectible items are shown on the map and must only find the spot, where to pick them up. And even this is a lot easier than in other games of this genre (e.g. Tomb Raider, where you have to make big detours sometimes, just to get to the spot where the shiny object of your desire is located).
I'm already somewhat into the game, having collected all collectibles and finished 29 of 30 side missions to upgrade my weapons. I've done 18 of the 20 Main missions (no spoiler, these statistics can be seen In-Game right from the beginning) and at the moment I take preparations to get the Platinum Trophy for this game, which is quite easily obtained. Well, at least if you take a look at the trophy table. There is one that I'm not certain if it really is that easy and three others, that take some prep-time, but the game is fun enough that I'm willing to try to get them, even if I'm told myself that I would stop playing for trophies, now that I have a lot less time to play than before the birth of my son. But honestly: (and now comes a bit of a spoilerish thing, so if you want to avoid that, just skip to the next paragraph): Branding the 5 Captains, which are the bodyguards of a warchief, so that these are loyal to you know and when the cowardly warchief finally appears, after you laid waste to his stronghold or killed enough of his followers let all his "bodyguards" turn on him sounds just too much fun to not do it!

Well, Isaid that my gamingbacklog is somewhat huge. That is true! I won't start to write about my Steam-Library (well, almost every dedicated videogamer who has a Steam account knows what I'm talking about!), but also on my PS4 there are a lot of games that want to be played!
The next game I will definatly tackle is Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age. This is a remastered version of the old PS2 FFXII game, which I (and as a FF-Fanboy I'm ashamed to say this) never finished! So I still have a debt to settle with this game. But after that... well, december was kind to me: Not only because of christmas, but it's also the month of my birthday and some friend of mine and I have the tradition of secret santa for New Years Eve. And I got three games I had on my list for quite some time: Elex, Nier: Automata and The GotY Edition of The Withcer III! Also, I still haven't played Resident Evil 7 (which also got a GotY edition... 1,5 years ago this wouldn't have happened to me!) so there are a lot of games that are waiting for me (beside all those other games, especially some nice KS-games that got delivered last year...). And 2018 will come with some more games, that I have to play, starting with the new Gods of War for PS4.

So, also videogame wise 2018 will be a busy year for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment